All-Church Beach Trip
August 7-10, 2020
- Registration Deadline: July 10, 2020
- IF the trip needs to be cancelled due to COVID-19, 100% of your registration will be reimbursed.
A fun & relaxing weekend at the beach with friends! While there is no specific schedule/program, there will be plenty of opportunity for: swimming, sunning, beach sports, walks, table games, shopping, meals, ice cream, Ralph’s Italian Ice, etc. We are also staying in a Christian town with wonderful opportunities to participate in their daily Bible Studies, Chapel Services, Sunday Worship Services, and events. This weekend is a great opportunity to deepen relationships with one another, and also to just unwind from any daily craziness you may be experiencing. Everyone is invited! You can join in with others or do your own thing. Most people spend their days on the beach, and evenings playing table games together in Grove Hall, or going out for an activity on their own. This trip is hosted by Ebenezer’s Activities Committee. (Note: children under age 18 need to register with a parent/guardian.)
WHEN: DATES & TIMES
August 7-10, 2020, Fri-Mon
Register for as many days during this time as you’d like.
Grove Hall Retreat Center
15 Pilgrim Pathway
Ocean Grove, NJ 07756
- Register Online
- Deadline: July 10, 2020
- After July 10, if you need to back out, you have the option to sell your registration to someone else, or simply forfeit the payment.
- If the trip needs to be cancelled due to COVID-19, 100% of your registration will be reimbursed.
- Reservations are being done by the room this year (instead of by the individual).
Accommodations are modest, but lend to a very affordable get-away (prices are less than half of most other lodging this close to the beach.) Standard rooms are small with just enough space for two twin beds, a night stand, and two luggage racks. Seven sets of rooms are adjoining, which can be helpful for families (can be requested with reservation). Please know that everything is clean and safe and provided with wonderful Christian hospitality. The following rooms are available on a first-come basis:
|Room Type||Quantity||Max Guests / Room||Price / Night|
|Standard: 2 twin + shared bath*||22||2||$103|
|Handicapped Accessible: 2 twin + shared bath*||3||2||$103|
|2 twin + private bath||4||2||$129|
|Queen + twin + private bath||1||3||$129|
|Queen + 2 twin + shared bath*||1||4||$103|
*Shared Bathrooms: 1 women’s restroom and 1 men’s restroom is available on each floor. These restrooms are clean and well-lit. Each one has 3 toilet stalls, 3 showers (each shower has an attached private changing room), long counter with 3 sinks and mirror. Provided: shampoo, soap, paper towels, toilet tissue.
- Continental Breakfast is included
- Beach passes are included (1 day’s pass for each night’s stay)
- Each Standard room has 2 single beds
- Large bathrooms are located on the hallways
- The building has no elevators, and the only guest rooms on the 1st floor are the Handicapped Accessible ones. So if stairs are a concern for you, please sign up for a Handicapped Accessible room (or leave a comment on your registration form that you’d prefer a 2nd floor room to a 3rd floor room).
- The lodge is about 2 blocks from the beach
- Bedding, bath towels, washcloths are provided. (Beach towels are NOT provided.)
- Communal rooms provided: 2 living room/lounges, large dining room, kitchen
- Please don’t enter the kitchen during breakfast as the staff will be busy serving
- Limited refrigerator & freezer space is available for you to store lunch food/snacks
- Ice Machine with lots of ice is available
- NOT available: utensils, paper plates/napkins
- Porches close at 11pm
- Quiet hours begin at 10:30pm (need to be QUIET if playing games in dining area)
- NO alcohol, smoking, drugs, animals permitted on premises
- Children need to stay in the same room or adjoining room as parent/guardian
- No running in the hallways
Free, on-street parking is the only available parking. It is somewhat limited in Ocean Grove, so try to carpool if you can. Once you find a place to park, you may not want to move your car for the rest of the weekend, as finding a new place later will be difficult. Early morning and late night are the easiest times to find parking. When arriving/departing, you can pull your car up to the door of Grove Hall and quickly load/unload.
WHAT TO BRING
Beach stuff (swim suit, towel, chair, sunscreen, etc), sports equipment (there is space on the beach to play), and games for the evenings are always welcome. A jacket or sweatshirt is helpful for evenings, as it can get cool especially along the boardwalk and in Grove Hall. You may want to bring an extra blanket, as the only bedding provided is a sheet & thin quilt.
A continental breakfast is provided each morning by Grove Hall. For lunch and dinner you are on your own. Most people tend to go out to eat for dinner, and bring food to pack lunches, drinks, and snacks. However, there are several snack stands and nearby cafes and restaurants available for lunch as well.
- NO UTENSILS OR PAPER PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED, so if packing your lunches, please plan ahead and bring these items with you.
- There are fridges and freezers to store food items, but space is somewhat limited. Ice machine with lots of ice IS available in the kitchen.
- Please clean up after yourself. Also if you notice that the garbage is full please tie it up and put it outside in one of the garbage cans behind the kitchen.
- IMPORTANT: PLEASE DO NOT EAT ANY FOOD THAT YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED. Please make sure you have food with you for lunches (or plan to eat out).
Beach passes are included with your room. When you arrive, you will be issued one beach pass ticket for each night you are staying. Please keep track of your tickets – they are your access to the beach. If you lose these tickets, you will need to pay to access to the beach ($9/day). Please note that on Sundays the Ocean Grove beach does not open until 12pm. So, it’s a great time to go to church!
CHURCH & CHRISTIAN ACTIVITIES:
- Two Sunday Worship Services: There is a contemporary service on the boardwalk at 9am, and a more traditional service in the Great Auditorium at 10:30am. Both are casual dress. Please note that if you are not staying Sunday night, you need to check out of your room on Sunday before leaving for church. You can still use the kitchen, dining room, living room, and 1st floor restroom after church. Both services are good….and the beach doesn’t open until noon on Sunday. If you’ve never been to a service at the Great Auditorium, it is a majestic place, and worth the experience.
- Daily morning chapel services, Bible Studies, and Christian events are provided by the town during the summer. Check this summer’s calendar: here.
Our group may not be the only ones staying at Grove Hall, and some people go to sleep earlier than others. So 2 rules: You can’t be out on the porches after 11pm (Ocean Grove rules), and if you’re inside please be quiet after 10:30pm. If you’re playing games in the dining area, don’t get too loud and try and keep the dining door closed. Please remember that our group has consistently been asked to be more quiet in the past….so have late night fun, but quiet fun.
Ocean Grove is a dry town with no bars or liquor stores. Alcohol is not permitted in public areas of Ocean Grove—that includes the beachfront. No alcohol, drugs, or smoking is permitted on or near the premises of Grove Hall at any time. No animals are allowed in the buildings.
LINKS ABOUT THE TOWN….
http://www.oceangrove.org/grove-hall (Where we are staying)
http://oceangrove.org/ (General Info)
http://www.oceangrovenj.com (More General Info)
Contact one of our leaders:
Robyn Paul: 484-554-7553
Kevin Kritzberger: 484-330-0179