The Worship Team is the branch of worship ministries at Ebenezer that is responsible for leading the congregation in heartfelt corporate worship through song and prayer during Sunday morning services. We work with a blended repertoire of contemporary praise songs and traditional hymns that focus on giving glory and honor to a living God.
WHO WE ARE
The worship team is an auditioned group of 15-20 musicians responsible for leading the congregation in a topical musical set every Sunday morning. Musicians are placed on one of two teams.
Rehearsals occur on Wednesday evenings from 8:30 pm to 10 pm from September through May. Summer rehearsals occur on Wednesday evenings from 7 pm until 8:30 pm. In addition to Wednesday night rehearsals, Worship Team reports to the church at 7:15 am on Sunday morning for warm-up and sound check.
The purpose of our worship ministry is to actively lead the congregation in heartfelt corporate worship and bring glory to our Lord on a weekly basis. This is based on the Romans 12:1 ideal of presenting ourselves as “living sacrifices.”
Our vision is to glorify God through heartfelt worship; reach out to others with the love of Christ; obey God’s command to make disciples; win others to Christ.
VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Personal Holiness – Maintain a personal prayer and devotion time, live a life that is worthy of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Romans 12:2 – Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Faithful Attendance – Regularly attend Sunday morning worship services even when not scheduled to minister. Hebrews 10:25a – Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing…
- Excellence – Do my best to actively pursue continual improvement.
- Teamwork & Humility – Come to rehearsals with a spirit of unity and strive to complete the goals that the team has set out to accomplish. Come with an attitude that seeks to enhance the team. Be prepared to accept critiquing as a learning experience and not as a personal criticism. Be sensitive to your brother however; share in love as commanded in the Word of God. Romans 12:3 – Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
- Encouragement – Be sensitive to the emotional needs of others and support them in Christ’s love.
- Punctuality – Please be respectful of other’s time and arrive at the scheduled times. If you are involved in a setup – please plan accordingly and arrive early so you will not hold up the group. Adequate rehearsal time is a necessity.
- Submission – Acknowledge authorities that God places over us to accomplish His purpose in His perfect timing. Romans 13:1 – Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. The mediation of the differences within music styles and types will rest on the Worship Leader who is answerable to the Worship Coordinator and the Worship Committee.
- Flexibility – Be ready to make adjustments and changes as dictated by necessity of the worship service.
HOW WE SERVE
Worship Team members are held to high standards in order to lead the congregation in worship. We rehearse together at various times, pray for one another and the congregation, and lead corporate worship on Sundays as well as for special services and events.
SKILLS BEING SOUGHT
- Instrumentalists (including, but not limited to): guitar, piano, keyboard, bass, percussion, other wind and string instruments
- Musical Composing and Arranging
An audition and interview is required to serve in this ministry. You must be a team player, willing to learn and take direction. You must have made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ.
- Vocalists – skilled singers who preferably can harmonize.
- Instrumentalists – skilled instrumentalists who can either read music or play by ear.
- Composers/Arrangers – skilled musicians who can compose new music or do musical arrangements of hymns and praise songs.
YOU CAN PRAY FOR
- The musicians who currently serve in this ministry. Pray for their continued growth both musically and spiritually. Please also pray for God’s protection of our musicians who most certainly will face spiritual warfare as they lead.
- The changing face of worship ministries at Ebenezer in relation to a growing congregation.
- The opportunity to place fresh faces into this ministry because “as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17.
- The congregation on Sunday mornings. Specifically that the Lord would use this time to soften hearts and draw people closer to Him in preparation for hearing His Word.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you are interested in any of these areas or have additional questions please contact Pastor Jeremy Harkins.